Monday, June 25, 2012

~How we met~

How did Richard & I meet?
We met at an Indiana church one Sunday evening....   :) 
Several months before meeting Richard, I met Richard's parents, younger sister and brother at a revival meeting. Richard's dad, Paul, was a minister at another church in the area and friends with my pastor's family.
While spending time with Richard's family... little did I know that his mother and sister would later tell Richard all about me, and that I was in danger of being matched with someone!!! Richard had recently moved to SW Missouri, so I thought nothing of his family talking about him. I recall his mother showing me a family photo... and I remember asking which one was Richard... but honestly! I was only wondering who they were talking about!!! :) I strongly disliked match-making efforts of others, so it's good I didn't realize what was happening.  
Several months later... on April 20th, Richard came to my church fully intending to meet me. 
I was the piano player, so had a good view of the people sitting in the pews... and I thought I recognized Richard, but wasn't sure where I'd seen him before.
After service, Richard walked right up to me and introduced himself. We conversed for about 10 minutes before I began to feel people's eyes on us. The congregation was a small one... and I was the only single lady in the church, so I knew they would all think of match making......   lol!
 I discreetly made my escape (before others could ask me about him or our conversation), telling Richard I needed to leave, but it was nice meeting him.  
I berated myself the whole way home (I was a nanny in Indy), sad that I didn't talk longer with Richard, and that I'd never see him again since he lived in Missouri.    :)
One and half weeks later, I received a card in the mail and stared in unbelief at the return address. "How did he get my address?!?!" I asked over and over again...     :)  :)   :)   lol!
Richard had written a friendly card .... saying that it had been nice meeting me...then, towards the end of the card, "Feel free to write back."   :)
I waited about a week before mailing a letter back to him....   :)
We began a long distance relationship, marrying 10 months after meeting.
Yes, it was a whirlwind courtship, but knew we had found the person we had been waiting for. :)
~I was 22, Richard was 25~  [looking back, we looked like little kids!!  lol!!]
Richard & I married on February 21st, 1998 in the church building where we met.   :)